TSC‘s Reveals More Information on the CBA 2021-2025
In a Circular dated the 10th of September 2021, the Teachers Service Commission has issued more information on the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for the years 2021 -2025.
The Commission signed the CBA 2021-2025 with the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT), the Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (KUPPET) and the Kenya Union of Special Needs Education Teachers (KUSNET) on the 13th of July this year (2021).
In the circular, TSC has given information on when the CBA 2021-2025 will be implemented, remuneration, promotions, transfers, leaves, Career progression and Performance Management and Evaluation.
The Commission revealed that the CBA began applying to all teachers as of the 1st of July, 2021. The implementation period is from the 1st of July 2021 to the 30th of June, 2025.
The Basic Salary for teachers will be according to Appendix I while allowances will be paid as stipulated in the Appendixes:
- Commuter Allowance – Appendix 2
- Disability Guide Allowance – Appendix 3
- Leave Allowance – Appendix 4
- House Allowance – Appendix 5
- Hardship allowance – Appendix 6
- Medical benefit shall be drawn as provided as Part IX, of Code of Regulations for Teachers (CORT)
- Transfer Allowance is payable at a rate of one month’s Basic Salary subject to the provisions of Regulation of the CORT.
Career Progression Guidelines in place will dictate the promotion of teachers. However, Teachers working on ASAL and hard to staff areas and are holding administrative positions in an acting capacity shall be promoted gradually until they get to grades that correspond to their respective positions.
Regarding transfers, teachers will be transferred as per Part V of the CORT alongside policies of the Commission. In order to meet the requirements for family values in the Constitution. Therefore, TSC will give consideration to the availability of vacancies, the need for a suitable replacement and the existing norms of staffing. Proof of marriage will also be required.
Applications for different categories of leaves will be considered and strictly approved as per Part X of the CORT. However, the Commission will give:
- Maternity leave of One Hundred and twenty (120) Calendar Days with full pay with effect from the date of delivery.
- Pre-adoptive leave of Forty-five (45) Calendar days with full pay with effect from the date of adoption.
- Paternity Leave of Twenty-One (21) Calendar Days with full pay once in a year.
TSC will also enhance and maintain high-performance standards in the teaching service via the implementation of the Teacher Professional Development (TPD) Programmes and Performance Management system in the teaching service.
Teachers who will have successfully completed the TPD programme shall be given a Teaching Certificate under Regulation 49 (1) of the CORT.
Career Progression in the teaching service will be done as per the Career Progression Guidelines that are in place.