12 Best TSC Teaching Subject Combinations in 2021
In this article, we discuss the most marketable subject combinations in Kenya. The marketability of a subject combination depends on the demand for that combination now.
Some subject combinations have suffered a mass supply in the last few years leading to a glut. This forces teachers to wait for a very long time before they can be recruited by the Teachers Service Commission.
The subject combinations that have suffered a huge supply of teachers leading to long waiting times before being recruited are:
- History and humanities in General.
The subject combinations provided in this article provide a better chance of getting employed in 2021 with there being few applicants meaning there are many schools missing teachers.
In a memo directed to County Directors of Education, TSC revealed that there were schools that did not receive any applications for advertised subject combinations. On the other hand, those who applied did not qualify.
The schools in question have since written to the Commission and requested consideration for alternative subject combinations, in the hope that they will get teachers for those subjects.
The subject combinations that have shortages of teachers are listed in the table below with there being a high probability of being recruited by TSC before long if you take these subject combinations.
DRAWING AND DESIGN
TSC Employment Requirements
- Must a Kenyan Citizen.
- Must be 45 years of age and below.
- Must be registered as stipulated in Section 23 of the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) Act 2012.
- For those registered but do not have certificates of registration must attach a copy of the online printout of the TSC number and the original bank pay-in slip for teacher registration.
A teacher seeking employment should possess original academic and professional certificates which may include the following.
- KCE/KCSE certificate
- CPE/KCPE Certificate
- PTE certificate
- Diploma certificate
- Degree certificate
- School leaving certificate
Applicants must have attained the following
- A minimum means-grade of C+ (Plus) at the KCSE and a C+ (plus) in each of the two teaching subjects or, a minimum of two (2) principles and one (1) subsidiary pass at ‘A’level.
In addition to the above, they should have:
- a Bachelor of Education Degree with two (2) teaching subjects.
- A Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) with two teaching subjects.
What are the TSC employment Guidelines?
- Minimum grade of C plain and above
- A PTE certificate from KNEC
- A mean grade of a C- (Minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons.
- Special needs Education: KSL and Braille is considered as a second teaching subjecte e.g. Biology/KL, Geography/Braille.
Recruitment and Selection
Applicants applying for posts in Primary schools must have a P1 certificate.
Interested candidates should apply to the TSC County Director, where a vacancy has been advertised in the county and submit all the relevant academic and professional documents.
In the new TSC requirements, teachers who have served under the internship programme will be required to provide the intern certificates for them to score 10 marks for serving as interns.
Primary school teachers are normally employed via competitive selection interviews. During the selection day one should carry the following original documents to the sub-county selection panel;
- The National Identity Card
- PTE certificate
- CPE/KCPE certificate (including first attempt certificate if one repeated examination)
- School/college leaving certificates.
Applicants applied for posts in Secondary schools must have attained a minimum of a Diploma in Education Certificate.
Candidates who are interested should apply to the Secretary, Board of Management of the school where a vacancy has been advertised and then submit a copy of the application to the TSC County Director.
The Teachers Service Commission only deals with TSC County Directors and Boards of Management in the recruitment exercise. Direct applications to the Commission are NOT considered.