KUCCPS Releases Circular on Review of the placement criteria to degree and TVET programmes
The Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) has revealed issued a circular regarding the review of placement criteria for degree and TVET programmes in Education.
The details on the circular are shown below.
RE: TEACHERS SERVICE COMMISSION PROPOSALS ON THE REVIEWED PLACEMENT CRITERIA TO DEGREE AND TVET PROGRAMMES IN EDUCATION
Reference is made to the above subject.
On 24th February 2022, the Placement Service received proposals on the reviewed placement criteria to degree programmes from the Teachers Service Commission (attached).
This is for your information and further action.
DR. AGNES MERCY WAHOME, PhD/
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
1.6 The Commission’s Proposals takes cognizance of the introduction of a number of courses for Education and the recommendations of the CBC Taskforce Report.
|S/NO||COURSE||CBC IMPLICATIONS||TSC PROPOSALS|
|1||SC Bachelor of Education in Technology (Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronics, Technical and Vocational, ICT, Technology and Technology Education)||The areas identified in these courses are related to the stem pathway, careers and technology strand||1. The courses identified for review do not provide the subjects the candidate will undertake during the course. The omission requires a student to have two teaching subjects at minimum with a B- in the teaching subjects.|
|They will prepare teachers to teach these subjects from Grade 7 to 12||2. There is need to define the subjects the student teacher will undertake during this programme.|
|The Commission has noted that every student shall have a minimum of C Plain in Maths, Physics and Chemistry which are the foundation subjects of these areas.|
|2||19(a) Bachelor of Education (Science and with IT), Agricultural Education,||These areas are very critical in CBC implementation as they are core subjects in the curriculum||1. The student should have at least B- in the two teaching subjects. Additionally, the student should have C Plain in English and Mathematics|
|2. This is a great improvement for entry requirements. The Two teaching subjects should be clearly defined for the students.|
|3.||19(b) Bachelor of Science with Education||The subjects for the course are critical for Junior and Senior Secondary. The subjects are Biology, Physics and Chemistry. They are core subjects in stem||1. The candidate should have at least B in the two teaching subjects|
|C Plain in English and Mathematics|
|4||19(c)||Bachelor of Education Arts, fine arts, German, Guidance and Counselling, It, French, Home Science and Technology, Home Economics, Physical Education, Bachelor of Education Early Childhood||1. Every candidate undertaking these subjects should have a minimum of two teaching subjects with a B- in any Bachelor of Education Arts Programme which are critical for cost effectiveness|
|2. Additionally, the student should have C plain in English, Kiswahili and Mathematics|
|3. The Universities should endeavor to produce a student who has at least two teaching subjects or three subjects in these areas.|
|5||19(d) Bachelor of Education Arts Business Studies||This is also part of CBC subjects at Junior and Senior.||Every candidate should have B in two subjects and C plain in English, Kiswahili and Mathematics.|
|6||19(e) Bachelor of Arts with education||This is also part CBC subjects at Junior and Senior.||Every candidate should have B in two subjects and C plain in English, Kiswahili and Mathematics.|
|7||19(f) Bachelor of Education (Special Needs Secondary Education) Bachelor of Arts Special Education, Bachelor Education Visual and Performing Arts||The course caters or Special Needs pathway for both Junior and Senior School. A candidate is required to have C+ in two teaching subjects and C Plain in Mathematics, English and Kiswahili||The Commission concurs with the entry requirements provided|
|8||20 Regulated Programmes 2 Diploma in Education||This Prepares a CBC teacher to teach in Pre Primary and PP1 and PP2||The candidate should have a KCSE Mean Score of C+ and C+ in two teaching subjects. Additionally, C plain in English and Maths, for Science Based course and a C- in Mathematics for Art-Based courses.|
|20 (b) Diploma in Education Visually and hearing impaired||This is for the special needs pathway. A candidate should have a mean grade of C Plain. Additionally a C- (Minus) in English and Mathematics for Science based course and a C- minus in Mathematics for Science Based course and a C- (Minus) in Mathematics for the Art based course||The Commission had set the entry criteria for this category to be KCSE mean grade C+ and C Plain in the two teaching subjects and must have a C- Minus in English and Maths.|
2. COMMISSION PROPOSAL ON THE STRUCTURE OF EDUCATION COURSE
The Commission wishes to propose that the Education Course be structured as follows:
1. Each student pursuing education should have 3 teaching subjects that is 2 major subjects and one minor for cost-effectiveness and proper utilization of the teacher. This will assist the Commission to handle the new areas that have been introduced in the Competency-Based Curriculum for Junior and Senior Secondary School. For examples, Biology, Chemistry and Community service or life skills education or PE.
BACHELOR OF ARTS WITH EDUCATION DEGREE (BAE)
2. The whole course to take 5 ½ years with the following Requirements in the Subjects areas:-
2.2.1 Mean Grade of C+ (Plus) at KCSE or equivalent. Plain in English and Kiswahili and Mathematics.
2.2.2 In addition, every student should have at least B- or equivalent in three subjects chosen from English, Kiswahili, Literature, History and Citizenship, Geography, Christian Religious Education, Islamic Religious Education, Hindu Religious Education, Business Studies, Mathematics, Arabic, French, German and Indigenous, PE, Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Sign Language/Kenya Sign Language, Social Studies, Community service learning and Life skills.
3. Every student will be required to undertake the following professional courses, Curriculum Development, Psychology in Education, Sociology in Education, Foundations in education, Measurement of evaluation, planning and educational economics, Performance management, Mentorship and coaching, Education action research and education leadership Microteaching.
4. Every student will be required to undertake 2 full terms practicum of 6 months after completing a 5-year course.
5. Every student will be required to pass in all core units and electives in each of the 3 subjects undertaken. They must have covered at least 12 units in each of the 3 teaching subjects.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE WITH EDUCATION DEGREE (BAE) – (Pure and Applied Sciences)
6. The whole course to take 5 ½ years with the following Requirements in the Subjects areas:-
6.1 Mean Grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE or equivalent C Plain in English, Kiswahili and Mathematics.
6.2 Every student should have at least B- or equivalent in three subjects chosen from Mathematics, Physics, Physical Sciences, Chemistry, Biology, ICT, Computer Science, Agriculture, Integrated Science, Health Education, Sports and Physical Education.
6.3 The whole course will take 5 ½ years, with the following Requirements in the Subjects areas:-
6.4 Mean Grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE or equivalent C Plain in English, Kiswahili and Mathematics.
6.5 every student should have at least B- or equivalent in three subjects chosen from Pre-technical and Pre-Career Education, Agricultural Technology, Crop Production, Animal Keeping, Foods and Nutrition, Home Management, Garment Making and Interior Design, Aviation Technology, Wood Technology, Carpentry and Joinery, Electrical Technology, Electricity, Electronics, Metal Technology, Power Mechanics, Motor Vehicle Mechanics, Leather Work, Hair Dressing and Beauty Therapy, Plumbing and Ceramics, Wielding and Fabrication, Building Construction, Metalwork.
7. Every student will be required to undertake the following professional courses: Curriculum development, Psychology in Education, Sociology in education, Foundations in education, Measurement and evaluation, Planning and educational economics, Performance management, Mentorship and coaching, Education action research and education leadership. Microteaching.
8. Every student will be required to undertake 2 full terms practicum of 6 months after completing the 5-year course.
9. Every student will be required to pass all the core units and electives in each of the 3 subjects undertaken. They must have covered at least 12 units in each of the 3 teaching subjects.
Comments are closed.