TSC reveals new employment requirements ahead of July’s Mass Recruitment
The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) is bracing itself to hire 5,000 teachers to secondary schools in the coming month.
The Commission is planning to hire only secondary school teachers and leave out teachers with Primary Teacher Education (PTE) certificates. This is all in the big plan of the government to employ 15,000 school teachers which makes it 5,000 teachers annually for the next three years.
TSC is hiring the 15,000 teachers to secondary schools and leaving out primary school teachers because the inception of the new Competency-Based Curriculum (CBC) requires learners to join Grade Six at an early stage.
In case you are a qualified teacher, below are the new recruitment requirements from the Commission.
TSC Employment Requirements
- Must a Kenyan Citizen.
- Must be 45 years of age and below.
- Must be registered as stipulated in Section 23 of the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) Act 2012.
- For those registered but do not have certificates of registration must attach a copy of the online printout of the TSC number and the original bank pay-in slip for teacher registration.
A teachers seeking employment should possess original academic and professional certificates which may include the following.
- KCE/KCSE certificate
- CPE/KCPE Certificate
- PTE certificate
- Diploma certificate
- Degree certificate
- School leaving certificate
Applicants must have attained the following
- A minimum means-grade of C+ (Plus) at the KCSE and a C+ (plus) in each of the two teaching subjects or, a minimum of two (2) principles and one (1) subsidiary pass at ‘A’level.
In addition to the above, they should have:
- a Bachelor of Education Degree with two (2) teaching subjects.
- A Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) with two teaching subjects.
What are the TSC employment Guidelines?
Minimum grade of C plain and above
A PTE certificate from KNEC
A mean grade of a C- (Minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons.
Special needs Education: KSL and Braille is considered as a second teaching subjecte e.g. Biology/KL, Geography/Braille.
Recruitment and Selection
Applicants applying for posts in Primary schools must have a P1 certificate.
Interested candidates should apply to the TSC County Director, where a vacancy has been advertised in the county and submit all the relevant academic and professional documents.
In the new TSC requirements, teachers who have served under the internship programme will be required to provide the intern certificates for them to score 10 marks for serving as interns.
Primary school teachers are normally employed via competitive selection interview. During the selection day one should carry the following original documents to the sub-county selection panel;
- The National Identity Card
- PTE certificate
- CPE/KCPE certificate (including first attempt certificate if one repeated examination)
- School/college leaving certificates.
Applicants applied for posts in Secondary schools must have attained a Minimum of Diploma in Education Certificate.
Candidates who are interested should apply to the Secretary, Board of Management of the school where a vacancy has been advertised and then submit a copy of the application to the TSC County Director.
The Teachers Service Commission only deals with TSC County Directors and Boards of Management in the recruitment exercise. Direct applications to the Commission are NOT considered.