Magoha: Registration of Candidates Will Not Be Extended
The Cabinet Secretary for Education Prof George Magoha has revealed that the Ministry of Education is not planning to extend the deadline for the registration of candidates. The current deadline for the registration of candidates has been set for the 14th of May 2022.
CS Magoha was speaking on Saturday while at Kakamega School where he insisted that headteachers and principals should ensure that their candidates are registered for the national examinations set to be done in November this year before May 14.
The national examinations set to be done this year includes the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE), the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) and the Kenya Primary School Education Assessment (KPSEA).
Magoha warned that any head of an institution who is not taking the exercise seriously will face the full force of the law.
“Looking at the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) portal, I have seen that there are jokers, our headteachers and principals have not taken this thing seriously at all. We shall not extend the deadline and that is why I am here today,” said CS Magoha.
The CS had visited Kakamega Primary school which is set to have around 560 candidates sitting for their KCPE examinations alongside a further 1,000 learners in grade six.
CS Magoha also mentioned Kapsabet boys which had already registered487 candidates to sit for their KCSE examination this year.
The CS recognized the two schools for having registered candidates by the time he visited the region.
“It will be a criminal offence to leave a Kenyan child from doing a Kenyan exam paid for by the government,” said CS Magoha.
CS Magoha also ordered secondary school principals to ensure that all students who come for admission are admitted regardless of whether they pay school fees or not. He said that the government’s policy is to fast track one hundred per cent transition from primary school to secondary school.
“As a principal, if a needy student comes, admit them and give them all the basic requirements and forward his name to us. We shall then put such students on a four-year scholarship program,” revealed CS Magoha while also imploring parents on the same.
CS Magoha also revealed that he had received reports that some heads of institutions have been turning away learners over lunch fees. He added that anyone found will be punished as this is inhumane.