Modern Creative Dance Adjudication Marking Scheme
1. Choice of Dance (10%)Drama
Identify the kind/category of dance from the on set. The dance should have a clear story/theme. It should be suitability for the level of the participants. It should be entertaining as well as educative
2. Choreography(60 %)
The craft of making a dance. Synchrony of music, dance and drama (story).
- Music – 10%
The choice of music must relate to the story being told. The dance may have background music, sound track, instrumentals/percussions or no music at all. The music must blend with the dance. The music should be suitable and varied.
- Dance – 30%
The dance routine will take centre stage with well-co-ordinated dance moves. The individual and group dynamics should be seen clearly. There should be variety in formations and patterns i.e. creative use of space, energy and time. Transitions should be smooth. Dancers should understand the dance routine, and be comfortable with the movements. They should enjoy the paces and show enthusiasm. The routine should be entertaining and credible.
- Drama – 20%
The story must be told through dance. It must be credible and easily understood. If the dance is episodic, then the episodes must tie up to make a story. Characters in the story must be credible.
3. Costume, Décor and Props (20%)
Appropriate and imaginative use of costume, décor and props. Props should be used minimally and this should not affect the flow of the dance. The choice of costume should reflect the theme and type of the dance selected. Light should be used to create an appropriate atmosphere
This assesses overall impact created by the dance. What is the total effect of the dance? Is it educative and entertaining? Do the dancers feel satisfied with what they have done? Does the dance leave a lasting impression on the audience?
Learners are encouraged to compose, record and dance to their own music.
Source: Drama Rules and Regulations Book 2016.
About Post Author
- How to Adjudicate Cultural Creative Dance at Kenya Drama Festival
- Allocation of marks for the Cultural Creative Dance
- How to Adjudicate a Dramatised Singing Games (ECD) at KNDF
- 2017 Kenya National Drama Festival Results
- How to Adjudicate a Stand-Up Comedy In Kenya National Drama Festivals
- Marking Scheme for adjudication of a Play at Kenya National Drama Festivals
- 2019 Kenya National Drama and Film Festivals Results
- How Teachers can Use Art in Teaching to Make Boring Lesson Fun