How Kenyans Humourously Fired Back at HELB Loan’s Threat to Publish Names and Photos of Loan Defaulters
Kenyans Online will leave you with cracked ribs in the manner they fired back at the Higher Education Loans Board HELB after posting a threat notice to publish names and pictures of over 85,000 loan payment defaulters.
The State owned Parastatal established in 1995, angered KOT (Kenyans on Twitter) and Facebook users when it posted a notice titled Publishing Names and Pictures of University Loan defaulters.
In the notice, HELB reminded the general public and loan defaulters that the HELB student loan is a government debt, and should be repaid as per the terms and conditions on which it was given.
- KCPE 2019 Results Out and Andy Munyiri Tops with 440 Marks
- KCSE 2019 Exams’ Weird and Tragic Happenings
- Step-by-Step TSC Wealth Declaration Procedure for Teachers and Administrators
HELB further warned the loan’s beneficiaries who have defaulted servicing their loans, and have not responded to HELB’s earlier communications, that action will be taken against them.
How the HELB Notice Amused Kenyans
What amused Kenyans most is the 4th paragraph of the notice which states and I quote:
“Please take note that the names and pictures o HELB loan beneficiaries who have defaulted repayment of the loan from 1975 to date shall be published in leading newspapers after expiry of 30 days from the date of this notice…”
In addition to publishing names and pictures in the media, HELB promises to further take legal action against each defaulter as provisioned by the corporations’ Act.
The HELB notice ends with advising the loan beneficiaries not servicing their loans to do the following:
- They should contact HELB to inquire about their loan accounts and other particulars through the provided email address firstname.lastname@example.org .
They can confirm their loan status online, via phone, and using the HELB app. To check the loan status online visit the loanee Portal website on the link www.helb.co.ke.
On phone the beneficiaries can use the USSD Code *642# or simply via the HELB app which can be download free of charge from the Google Playstore for android users.
- To check on the loan repayment options availed at www.helb.co.ke/repay-loan.
For the sake of our readers, check below this post for the summary of available HELB loan payment options, procedures, and other general HELB details.
How Kenyans on Twitter (KOT) Fired Back On HELB after the Notice
Being a lively and funny nation, Kenyans made humour out of the much publicized HELB Notice. Below are posts on how Kenyans responded;
- 8 Unexpected Ways that Can Make Your Life Better
- 8 Ways Teachers are Making Money Using their Websites.
Procedure on How to make HELB Payment, HELB Payment Options and HELB Account Payment Details
The payment options are classified into two: Local, and Diaspora Repayment Methods
HELB Local Repayment Methods
Beneficiaries can use the MPESA Mobile Payment Services.
Use Lipa na Mpesa pay bill option: Enter HELB business number as 200800, then your national ID number as account number and then the amount you want to pay
Bank Deposit as an Alternative
Other than mobile payment, beneficiaries can make payment using cash deposit, crossed cheque, direct transfer/standing order/EFT or bankers draft to HELB collection A/C in any of the following banks:
- Equity bank, A/C no: 055 029 357 3408, Equity Center branch, and SWIFT CODE : EQBLKENA
- Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB), A/C no: 1103 266 314, University-way branch, and SWIFT CODE : KCBLKENX
- Barclays bank, A/C no: 077 501 8216, Barclays Plaza branch, SWIFT CODE : BARCKENX
- Citibank, A/C no: 300 040 012, Nairobi branch, SWIFT CODE : CITIKENA
- Family Bank, A/C no: 035 000 024 971, Family Bank Towers branch, SWIFT CODE : FABLKENAXXX
- National Bank of Kenya, A/C no: 010 016 039 1100, Harambee Avenue branch, SWIFT CODE :NBKEKENX
- Jamii Bora Bank, A/C no: 1174 852 7001, Koinange street branch, SWIFT CODE : CIFIKENAXXX
- Co-operative Bank, A/C no: 011290 612 228 00, University-way branch, SWIFT CODE : KCOOKENA
- NCBA Bank Kenya, A/C no: 1002 247 638, NIC House branch, SWIFT CODE : CBAFKENX
- Standard chartered Bank, A/C no: 010 801 826 4700, Koinange street branch, SWIFT CODE : SCBLKENX
- SBM Bank, A/C no: 0332 084 215 001, Delta House branch, SWIFT CODE : SBMKENA
Diaspora HELB Repayment Methods
From the US and Canada HELB beneficiaries can make payment through Wave via KCB account number 1103266314.
Visit World Remit Website www.worldremit.com and choose ‘Bank Deposit’ service from the blue ‘Send to’ box. Fill in recipient’s details KCB ACCOUNT NUMBER 1103266314
Pay using a credit or debit card and use your national ID number as the reference.
You will receive notification through SMS and email. Forward the email notification your national ID NUMBER to OnlinePayments@helb.co.ke
HELB Loanee Obligations You Should Know
All HELB loan beneficiaries are advised to start loan repayment after one year on completion of studies, or within such a period as the Board may decide to recall the loan whichever is the earlier (Section 15 HELB Act).
Paying back the loans early, HELB advices reduces the financial burden in midlife. Especially, when bringing up a family, or when about to plan for the retirement.
Advantages of paying the HELB loans According to HELB
- Easy access to other bank loans by not being blacklisted by Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
- Peace of Mind.
HELB Loanee’s obligation under the HELB Act
- Inform the HELB about your contacts as outlined in HELB Act, section 15 (a)
- Begin loan repayment including the accrued interest thereon as provisioned in HELB Act, Section 15(b) .
- Facilitate Loan Remittance and deduction to HELB as per HELB Act, section 15 (c).
Read Also Other Posts:
- KCSE 2019 Marking Centres and Direction Guide
- 3 Things Every Parent Must Know About Makerere University.
- 8 Unexpected Ways that Can Make Your Life Better
- KCSE Day 2: Student Gives Birth to Twins
- School Principal Dies while going to Collect KCSE Examination Papers
- 3 Ways Teachers Can Teach Anger Management
- Top 20 Books You Need to Read While at school
- Four examination officers arrested for trying to pass answers to KCPE students with tissue paper
- TSC Formally Deregisters Sossion