Government of Kenya begins Carrying out Reforms for TVETs
According to the Cabinet Secretary for Education, Ezekiel Machogu the Technical and Vocational Education and Training Curriculum Development, Assessment and Certification Council (TVET-CDACC) will be rejuvenated to focus specifically on the TVET curriculum.
During a meeting with TVET bosses at the Kenya School of TVET (KSTVET), formerly Kenya Technical Trainers College (KTTC) on the 15th of February 2023, CS Machogu said that TVET-CDACC will soon be re-established and re-constituted adding that the recent move to disband the council was ill-advised.
Machogu said that the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) has a lot of work while the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) is meant to specifically handle curriculum in basic learning institutions.
“We are already in the process of allowing the mandated body (CDACC) to develop curriculum for our institutions,” said Machogu.
Echoing the same was TVET Principal Secretary Dr Esther Muoria during the meeting that brought together all Principals of National Polytechnics, Institute of Technology, Technical Training Institute (TTIs), Technical and Vocational and Technical Training.
The TVET Act 2003 stipulates that the functions of the Council include undertaking design, developing curricula for TVETs and making rules about examinations.
CDACC is also mandated to issue certificates, promote recognition of its qualifications in foreign systems and investigate cases that involve examination indiscipline.
The Council comprises a chairman appointed by CS, TVET PS, TVET Authority Director-General and six members appointed by the CS.
CS Machogu called on TVET principals and managers to ensure that they put more emphasis on enrolling in Technical Courses instead of Business Courses because that is the area where the country’s economy has an acute shortage of skilled labour.
He also called on them to incorporate entrepreneurship in technical training to ensure that trainees are empowered to create and seek opportunities that are related to their skills.
Dr Muoria revealed that after reinstating TVET CDACC, the government will begin curriculum reforms in TVET to ensure students take 70 per cent of training in the industry and the remaining 30 per cent in business-related courses.
CS Machogu also called on the National Polytechnics to improve Innovation, Research and linkages where they had an average score of 72 per cent in the recent TVET Authority (TVETA) Quality Audit Report for Public and Private TVET Institutions for the 2021/2022 Financial Year (FY).
“The National Polytechnics, being the apex institutions in the TVET sector, must be the leaders in Innovation, Research and Industrial Linkages. The Public TVCs, on their part should also foster collaboration with National Polytechnics in this area so that they can improve on their score which stands at 44%,” said CS Machogu.
Comments are closed.