Kenyatta University Invites Teachers for December Online TPD Training
The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) instructed teachers on the Teacher Professional Development (TPD) programme after which they shall be issued a certificate.
The Commission announced the institutions that will be conducting the TPD training. One of the institutions, Kenyatta University have now formally invited teachers to attend TPD training in December. Their invitation is shown below.
TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Teacher quality is the most important school-related factor in determining student achievement.
It has often been pointed out and rightly so, that the quality of education is as good as the quality of teachers.
Continuing Teacher Professional Development is critical in promoting teacher professionalism by enabling teachers to develop the knowledge, skills and expertise required to enhance teaching practice.
Teacher Professional Development (TPD) is therefore a career-long obligation for all practising teachers whose importance cannot be underestimated.
Kenyatta University is a Service Provider Accredited by the Teachers Service Commission to implement the Teacher Professional Development Programme (TPD)
WHY TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT?
1. No matter how good pre-service or initial training of a teacher is, it does not prepare them to meet the emerging challenges in the ever-changing educational landscape.
2. TPD ensures that the professional service that meets the expectations of the education sector and other stakeholders.
3. TPD encourages and facilitates the development of communities of practice where teachers can share expertise and experiences in order to achieve quality education in teaching and learning institutions.
Kenyatta University invites applications from all TSC registered teachers in Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Institutions in Kenya.
Teachers are encouraged to be part of a remarkable profession and its progressive future by enrolling for the TPD programme at Kenyatta University.
A blended teaching and learning approach to TPD module delivery will be employed. The Introductory Module will be offered virtually from December 2021.
WHY ENROL FOR THE TPD PROGRAMME AT KENYATTA UNIVERSITY?
1. Kenyatta University is a renowned and the leading University in the region and prides itself as a Centre of Excellence in pre-service teacher education and continuing teacher professional development.
2. The University has over 50 years of experience in teacher education and therefore a wealth of capability and expertise in providing holistic educational services to students enrolled in teacher education programmes.
3. Learn from the best. The University has a large pool of experienced professional educators with the requisite knowledge, skills, attitude and competencies in diverse fields in teacher education.
4. Kenyatta University has a vibrant and robust centre for Teacher Professional Development and Excellence that promotes teacher mentorship and continuing professional support.
The university will therefore support schools in building a community of practice and life-long professional networks.
5. Kenyatta University provides a versatile and easy to navigate Learning Management System (LMS) that will support the online component of TPD.
MODE OF DELIVERY OF TPD
The TPD programme will be delivered through modules intended to equip teachers with professional knowledge, skills and attitudes to address Pedagogy and Content Knowledge using the Competency-Based Teacher Education Model.
A blended learning approach will be used to deliver the content of the modules. This will entail Face to Face sessions and Online Learning.
1. Face to Face Sessions: The TPD face to face sessions will be conducted in various designated centres located in the sub-counties that will be easily accessible and convenient to teachers.
2. Online Learning: The TPD programme will also be delivered online. All the participants will receive the initial training required for online learning.
3. Participation in a country network of teachers to create a community of practice among teachers.
4. Follow up observation visits to schools by university teachers educators to provide feedback support
5. Mentoring and/or peer observation (Lesson Study).
MODE OF APPLICATION
To apply for the Introductory Module which begins in December 2021, applicants are advised to complete and submit an online application form using this link: TPD ONLINE APPLICATION PORTAL.
MODE OF FEES PAYMENT
Applicants for the TPD Course to pay Kshs. 6,000 per year. Applicants are expected to pay the fees through any of the following methods:
Equity Bank Limited
A/c No. 018 – 029-051-8859
A/c No. 045000023316
Cooperative Bank of Kenya
A/C No. 011-2906-246-1400
National Bank of Kenya
A/c No. 010-0305-915-0801
FOR ENQUIRIES CONTACT
Kenyatta University, School Education
020-870 3788/EXT : 3795
Kenyatta University, DVC-Academic