TSC GUIDELINES FOR RECRUITING HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS 2021
In this article, we provide the TSC recruitment requirements for post-primary teachers, in 2020/2021.
GUIDELINES FOR RECRUITMENT OF TEACHERS POST PRIMARY INSTITUTIONS 2020/2021
1.0 GENERAL INFORMATION
(a) Following the advertisement for recruitment of teachers, Boards of Management are requirement to conduct the selection exercise for the advertised vacancy(ies) in their institutions.
(b) The Selection Panel will be expected to exercise the highest degree of transparency and accountability, as stipulated in the Public Officers Ethics Act, and TSC Code of Conduct and Ethics 2015. The Head of Institution is required to induct the panel members on the relevant sections of the Act and CORT 2015 before the commencement of the selection exercise.
(c) The TSC County Director MUST ensure that the recruitment process is done in strict adherence to the laid down protocols by the Ministry of Health on containment of COVID-19 pandemic.
(d) All applicants must be registered teachers as per section 23(1) of the Teachers Service Commission Act 2012. Applicants who are not registered do not qualify to be recruited.
(e) Applicants who apply for confirmation of results from KNEC should give the address of the County Director where they have submitted their applications.
(f) Applicants whose names differ in the certificates and/or identity cards are required to present sworn affidavit on the difference in names.
(g) Applicants who resat their KCPE or KCSE examinations (or their equivalents) MUST present certified copies of the certificate(S) of the national examination(s) in question for all attempts.
(h) Applicants will be required to submit their applications to the Secretary Teachers Service Commission through online platform www.teacheronline.tsc.go.ke for the institution where a vacancy has been declared.
(i) System generated Merit List will be sent to the County Director. Upon receipt of the Merit List, the County Director shall share with the Sub-county Director and Heads of Institutions, heads of Institutions shall use the Merit List to organize for the interviews in consultation with their respective Sub-County Directors.
(j) Upon invitation for interview, applicants will be expected to appear with originals and clear copies of the following documents:
- National Identification Card
- National Council of Persons with Disability (NCPWD) Card (where applicable);
- KCPE certificate or its equivalent (include certificates for attempts if one repeated exams;
- KCSE certificates or its equivalent (include certificates for attempts if one repeated exams);
- Diploma/Degree certificate and official transcripts;
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher;
- Evidence of service as a teacher intern (where applicable);
- Sworn Affidavit where names appearing on the submitted documents differ;
- Primary and Secondary School leaving certificates and other relevant testimonials.
(k) The date, venue and time of the interview should be displayed on notice boards at the County, Sub-Counties, Zonal and Institutions Offices.
(l) Heads of Institutions should communicate to all shortlisted applicants through SMS (Short Message Service) at least seven (7) days before the actual date of the interview. This provision MUST bestrictly observed to ensure all applicants are notified of the date of the interview, venue and time.
(m) All applicants, irrespective of gender, disability, ethnicity or Home County should be given equal opportunity. However, in case of a tie, consideration will be given on the following aspects in their order of priority:
- Applicant(s) with disability(ies);
- Service as a teacher intern;
- Preference to applicants who graduated earlier;
- Quality of certificates presented i.e. higher aggregate KCSE grade should first be considered. If the applicants tie at the aggregate grade, the subject grades should be used;
(n) The names of interviewed applicants ranked in order of performance during the selection process for each vacancy (Appendix iii) will then be submitted to the Commission by the County Director together with Application for Employment forms.
(o) Applicants who were previously employed by the Commission MUST declare their past employment history and reason(s) for break in service (with evidence in break of service). Applicants who were previously employed by the Commission and FAIL to declare their past employment shall be disqualified. However, preference will be given in the selection process.
2.0 AUTHENTICITY OF ACADEMIC, PROFESSIONAL AND OTHER RELEVANT DOCUMENTS
(a) Applicants must present original and legible photocopies of the following documents:-
- National Identification cards;
- National Council of Persons with Disability (NCPWD) Card (where applicable);
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher
- KCPE (or its equivalent) certificates (include certificates for attempts if one repeated exams);
- KCSE (or its equivalent) certificates (include certificates for attempts if one repeated exams):
- Diploma/Degree certificates and official transcripts:
- Primary and secondary schools leaving certificates:
- Evidence f service as a teacher intern (where applicable):
- Sworn affidavit where names in the submitted documents differ.
NB: Provisional transcript(s) shall not be accepted.
(b) The selection panel shall vet each applicant to verify that:
(i) He/she meets the requirements of the TSC advertisement;
(ii) All submitted original academic and professional certificates, as well as official transcripts are authentic.
(iii) The proof of application for confirmation of results from KNEC has been availed where certificates are missing.
NB: the Onus is on the concerned applicant to follow up with KNEC for the confirmation of results within fourteen (14) days after fourteen (14) days after the interview date.
(iv) Where results have been confirmed, the original statement of confirmation of results MUST be submitted together with Application for Employment Form.
(c) The Secretary, Board of Management shall certify photocopies of the original certificates and confirm to the Sub-County Director that they are true copies of the candidate’s original certificates.
(d) Once the interview process is completed, the results must be communicated to all applicants on the same day. Successful applicant(s) shall be issued with the TSC application for Employment Form(s).
(e) It is the responsibility of the TSC County Director/Representative to ensure that the:
(i) Exercise is fair and transparent;
(ii) Successful applicant(s) on the Merit List fill the Application for Employment Form(s).
(f) The Secretary, Board of Management should ensure the Application for Employment Form(s) is correctly filled by the applicant(s) without erasing or defacing.
(g) The completed Application for Employment Form(s) together with other relevant documents should be submitted to the TSC County Director’s office by the TSC Sub-County Director. The TSC County Director, upon verification and ensuring that all the requirements are met by the successful candidates, will submit the recruitment documents to the TSC Headquarters within the stipulated timelines.
(h) Any applicant(s) who present forged/fake academic, professional and other documents commit(s) an offence; shall be disqualified and considered for deregistration subject to a disciplinary process.
3.0 SELECTION PANEL
1. Chairperson, Board of Management – Chairperson
2. Head of Institution – Secretary
3. Subject specialist – Member
4. TSC County Director/Representative – Member
3.1 SELECTION PANEL FOR SCHOOLS WITHOUT BOMs
a) TSC COUNTY Director/Representative – Chairperson
b) Head of Institution – Secretary
c) Subject Specialist- Member
d) PA Chairperson – Member
N/B: TSC County Director shall ensure that the selection Panel is well sensitized to conduct the interview within the COVID-19 containment measures as set by the Ministry of Health.
4.0 SELECTION CRITERIA
(a) The secretary, Board of Management shall present a system generated list received from the County Director of all applicants to the selection panel.
(b) The selection panel shall conduct interviews for those who meet the criteria. The County Director should not any inconsistency(ies), make decision(s) based on the guidelines and advise the applicants/panel and the Commission accordingly.
(c) Applicants shall present themselves in person to the selection panel. The panel shall score each applicant based on the selection score guide (Appendices 1 (a) or 1 (b)
NB: an applicant whose special need is related to hearing and/or speech shall be allowed to be accompanied by a sign language interpreter.
1. Graduate teachers
Applicants must have a minimum mean grade of C+ (plus) in each of the two teaching subjects or two (2) Principles and one (1) Subsidiary pass at ‘A’ Level. In addition, they must have:
- A Bachelor of Education Degree with two (2) teaching subjects.
- A Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) with two teaching subjects.
- Bachelor of Science with Education/Bachelor of Arts with Education with two teaching subjects.
- Bachelor of Education holders with Mean Grade of C(Plain) and C(Plain) in the two teaching subjects at KCSE and have undertaken a Diploma in Education or gone through the A-Level system in the relevant area(s) are eligible.
- Bridging/Pre-university certificates for those who completed the course before December 31st 2015 may be considered.
2. Diploma Teachers
Applicants must have a minimum Mean Grade of C+ (Plus) at KCSE or its equivalent with at least C+(Plus) or (Credit Pass) in the two teaching subjects or one (1) Principle and two (2) subsidiaries at ‘A’- Level. In addition, they must have: a Diploma in Education from a recognized Teacher Training Institution.
- Diploma Teachers who graduated in 2008 or before with a Mean Grade of C (Plain) in the two teaching subjects are eligible;
- Hearing and visually impaired teachers who enrolled for training with Mean Grade of C (Plain) and C(Plain) in the wo teaching subjects are eligible.
3. Technical Teachers
Applicants must have a minimum Mean Grade of C+ (Plus) at KCSE or its equivalent with at least C+ (Plus) or Credit Pass in the two teaching subjects or one (1) Principle and two (2) subsidiaries at ‘A’ – level. In addition, they must have:
- Bachelor of Education Technology (Bed TECH); OR
- (i) Bachelor of Science (BSc) in any relevant technical subject(s)/Course
(ii) Higher Diploma in a technical course; or
(iii) A Diploma in a technical course.
Further, applicants under category (b) above MUST process a Diploma in Technical Teacher Education from Kenya Technical Teachers College (KTTC) or a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) from a recognized university.
1) Applicants whose training is in subjects that are currently not in the Curriculum do not qualify, irrespective of their having undertaken a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) and /or enhancement. This category includes but not limited to Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts in:
- Natural Resources
- Fam Machinery
- Journalism etc
2) Applicants with Economics/Commerce/Accounting can apply for Business Studies and those with Social Education and Ethics (SEE) for CRE/IRE vacancies.
3) Diploma teachers with English/other subjects qualify for employment as English/Literature teachers.
4) All applicants must have studies the two teaching subjects at KCSE except for Agriculture, Business Studies, Home Science and Computer. For those who did not study Business and Computer, one should have attained a minimum of C+ (plus) in Mathematics in KCSE. For those who did not study Agriculture and Home Science, one should have attained a minimum of C+ in Biology at KCSE.
5) Graduate Teachers should have studied a minimum of eight (8) course units in each teaching subject.
6) Applicants presenting enhancement certificate(s)/official transcripts in teaching subject(s) from recognized institution(s) qualify for employment if they scored at least a C+ (Plus) in the enhanced subject at KCSE.
7) Applicants previously employed under contract and whose services were terminated due to inadequate units are eligible to apply.
8) Applicants applying for computer studies MUST have taken teaching methods course in the subject.
9) For applicants trained in Special Needs Education, Kenya Sign Language (KSL) or Braille are considered as teaching subjects e.g. Biology/KSL and Geography/Braille.
6.0 VALIDATION OF DOCUMENTS BY THE TSC COUNTY DIRECTOR
The TSC County Directors should:
- Ensure that the Application for Employment Forms have all the attachments required;
- Vet the recruitment documents to verify that the applicant(s) recruited qualify for employment as per the provisions of the recruitment guidelines;
- Ensure that all documents are duly signed as required; including the score sheets, Minutes of the Selection Panels and Section C of the Application for Employment form confirming that the candidate qualifies/merits to be employed;
- Compile complaints received and submit appropriate action taken or recommendations to the Commission.
7.0 DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE TSC HEADQUARTERS
The TSC County Director is required to hand over the following documents to the TSC Headquarters:
- Duly filled Application for Employment Form(s) together with a copy of the acknowledgement of receipt of application for employment, certified copies of Certificate of Registration as a teacher, identity card, NCPWD Card (where applicable), Affidavits (where applicable), evidence of service as an intern (where applicable) and two passport size photographs in respect of successful candidate(s);
- A list of all interviewed applicants in order of merit for the advertised vacancies in (Appendix III a)
- A copy of the system generate list of all applicants clearly showing those who failed to attend the interview(Appendix III b)
- List of applicants with special needs (Appendix VI)
- Duly signed Minutes of the Board of Management Meeting;
- A commitment letter duly signed by the applicant binding him/her to teach in station for a minimum period of five (5) years, and three (3) years in the case of North Eastern Region;
- Completed selection score guide duly signed;
- Copy of teacher registration certificate;
- Certified copy of a bank plate;
- Duly completed pay point particulars form;
- Copy of KRA PIN certificate;
- Copy of NHIF Card;
a) Any applicant who is dissatisfied with the process should submit to the TSC County Director a written complaint immediately and send an email to the TSC Headquarters through, email@example.com not later than seven (7) days after the selection process;
b) The TSC County Director should within seven (7) days analyse and address all complaints raised after the selection process has been completed and thereafter inform the Headquarters on the action taken;
c) Notwithstanding the decentralization of the function of teacher’s recruitment pursuant to Section 20 of the TSC Act, the Commission is not precluded in carrying our recruitment directly from the TSC Headquarters.
Below is a score sheet to be used by TSC in September 2021 Teachers’ Recruitment Program
SCORE SHEET FOR HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS
SCORING AREAS MAXIMUM SCORE
First class – 35
Second class upper – 30
Second class lower – 25
Pass – 20
Degree + PGDE or BSC + PGDE
First Class – 35
Second Class upper – 30
Second class lower – 25
Pass – 20
Diploma + Dip Tech Education
Distinction – 25
Credit – 20
Pass – 15
Diploma in Education
Credit – 20
Pass – 15
Maximum Score – 35
EVIDENCE OF INTERNSHIP SERVICE 10
Awarding of marks for Length of stay since qualifying as a teacher (since graduation). It is also important to note that length of stay after graduation is weighty and it is the mother of all when it comes to scoring of marks;
YEAR – SCORE
2012 and before – 50
2013 – 45
2014 – 40
2015 – 35
2016 – 30
2017 – 25
2018 – 20
2019 – 15
2020 and after 10
MAXIMUM SCORE – 50
Awarding of marks for length of stay since qualifying as a teacher for those previously employed by TSC.
YEAR – SCORE
2020 and after – 50
2019 -2018 – 45
2017 – 2016 – 40
2015 – 2014 – 30
2013 – 2012 – 25
2011 – 2010 – 20
2009 – 2008 – 15
2007 and before – 10
MAXIMUM SCORE – 50
NB: for purposes of scoring part B, year of completion of professional training (BED or PGDE) whose certificate is used to score part A of this score sheet.